Traffic Attorneys Serving Hampton, VA | Newport News, VA | Williamsburg, VA
Gochenour Law Firm, plc handles all forms of traffic charges and infractions. These matters can threaten a person’s liberty, adversely affect the driver’s DMV record and points, and cause insurance premiums to increase. Whether charged with speeding or other minor traffic offense, driving on a suspended license, driving after being declared an habitual offender, or reckless driving, it is always best to have a traffic attorney on your side.
Virginia follows a point system and every time you commit an offense, demerit points are added on your record and when the points reach a certain limit, your license will be revoked or suspended. Insurance companies also use these points to determine your premium rates. The state of Virginia classifies traffic infractions into moving and non-moving violations and assigns three, four or six points depending upon the type of violation.
If your infraction is serious enough to warrant jail stay or significant fine, you will be asked to appear in front of the Virginia traffic court. Depending on the severity of the case, you MAY be able to hire an attorney to appear for you. In addition to jail time and fines the court may also suspend a person’s ability to operate a vehicle in Virginia. This suspension of driving privileges can also trigger suspension in other states through reciprocity.
Some traffic offenses include:
- Driving Without a License / With a Suspended or Revoked License
- Driving Without Insurance
- Driving Without Registration / With Expired Registration
- Illegal U-Turn
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident / Hit & Run
- Mechanical Violations
- Reckless Driving – by speed or accident
- Running a Red Light / Stop Sign
- Seat Belt / Child Restraint Violations
- Unlawful Vehicle Modifications
- Evade and Elude – misdemeanor and felony
- Over height violations (46.2-110)
- Aggressive Driving